SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, SINGAPORE
INVESTIGATIVE SKILLS IN SCIENCE
Thurga Kalaichelvan (Leader)
Group Reference: B
- Indicate the type of research that you are adopting:
[X ] Test a hypothesis: Hypothesis-driven research
e.g. Investigation of the anti-bacteria effect of chrysanthemum
[ ] Measure a value: Experimental research (I)
e.g. Determination of the mass of Jupiter using planetary photography
[ ] Measure a function or relationship: Experimental research (II)
e.g. Investigation of the effect of temperature on the growth of crystals
[ ] Construct a model: Theoretical sciences and applied mathematics
e.g. Modeling of the cooling curve of naphthalene
[ ] Observational and exploratory research
e.g. Investigation of the soil quality in School of Science and Technology, Singapore
[ ] Improve a product or process: Industrial and applied research
e.g. Development of a SMART and GREEN energy system for households
- Write a research proposal of your interested topic in the following format:
Title: Whether the angle of the trebuchet will affect its height or distance.
- Question or Problem being addressed
Does the angle of the trebuchet affect the distance traveled by the ping pong ball?
- Goals / Expected Outcomes / Hypotheses
Hypothesis: The larger the angle of the trebuchet, the further the ping pong ball will travel.
Expected outcome: Well-functioning trebuchet that supports our hypothesis.
Goal: To prove that our hypothesis is correct.
- Description in detail of method or procedures (The following are important and key items that should be included when formulating ANY AND ALL research plans.)
1 Wood Saw (Straight Blade)
1 Measuring Tape
1 Glue Gun
1 Power Drill
1 Screw Driver
1 Ping Pong Ball
4 90 degrees metal plate
4 L shaped metal plate
•Procedures: Detail all procedures and experimental design to be used for data collection
1) Place arm at a certain angle.
2) Release the weight activate the motion of the ping pong ball
- When the ping pong ball has landed, measure the distance travelled by it.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with different angles.
- Risk and Safety: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions to be taken.
Risk: Handling saws and penknives may cause injuries.
Precaution: Make sure the person is not distracted by his surroundings and members.
Risk: The ping pong ball may hit someone.
Precaution: Make sure no one is walking around at the place where the ping pong ball would land.
- Data Analysis: Describe the procedures you will use to analyze the data/results that answer research questions or hypotheses
We will use a protector to measure the angle. After the ping pong ball has landed, we will measure the distance it traveled from the starting point.
D. Bibliography: List at least five (5) major references (e.g. science journal articles, books, internet sites) from your literature review. If you plan to use vertebrate animals, one of these references must be an animal care reference. Choose the APA format and use it consistently to reference the literature used in the research plan. List your entries in alphabetical order.
Poza (2011, March 29). Ping Pong Ball Catapult. Ping Pong Catapult. Retrieved July 5, 2013, from http://www.instructables.com/id/Ping-Pong-Ball-Catapult/?ALLSTEPS
Unknown. Modern Day Catapults. Physics of Catapults. Retrieved July 5,2013, from https://sites.google.com/site/physicsofcatapults/home/modern-day-catapults
Johnson, S. (n.d.). Modern Uses of a Catapult | eHow. eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you.. Retrieved July 10, 2013, from http://www.ehow.com/info_8597229_modern-uses-catapult.html
Federation of American Scientists :: Aircraft Carriers. (n.d.). Federation of American Scientists. Retrieved July 10, 2013, from http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/man/usw
All about Catapults . (n.d.). All about Catapults . Retrieved July 10, 2013, from http://www.catapults.info/